The FZ6R ... easy to handle, big time fun to ride
Somewhere between cruisers and supersport bikes exists a genre simply known as "sports" bikes.
The FZ6R fits perfectly into the less intense sport bike world with its easy to control power, light weight and low seat height. A slim compact chassis complements the fuel injected engine and its very linear throttle control. No lap records here, just a bike that inspires rider confidence and is a blast to ride.
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve, in-line four
- Displacement: 600 cc
- Bore and Stroke: 65.5 x 44.5mm
- Compression Ratio: 12.2:1
- Maximum Torque: 6.1 kg-m (44.1 ft-lb) @ 8,500 rpm
- Fuel Delivery: Mikuni 32mm throttle body FI
- Estimated Fuel Consumption: 18.1 kpl/ 51.5 mpg (Imp.)
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Ignition / Starting: TCI / Electric
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Final Drive: "O"-ring chain
- Suspension (Front): 41mm fork
- Suspension (Rear): Monocross
- Brakes (Front): Dual 298mm discs
- Brakes (Rear): 245mm disc
- Tires (Front): 120/70ZR17
- Tires (Rear): 160/60ZR17
- Length: 2,120mm (83.5 in.)
- Width: 770mm (30.3 in.)
- Height: 1,185mm (46.7 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1,440mm (56.7 in.)
- Rake / Trail: 26 deg. / 103mm (4.1 in.)
- Ground Clearance: 140mm (5.5 in.)
- Seat Height: 785mm (30.9 in.)
- Fuel Capacity: 17 l (3.7 Imp. gal)
- Wet Weight: 212 kg (467.4 lbs.)
- Colour(s): Metallic Black, Yellowish Red
- Ultra-compact, 600cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve, slant block in-line four powerplant. This engine has been specially tuned for ease of riding with very linear power characteristics. It is loosely based on the FZ6 with revised cylinder head, crankcases, intake and exhaust systems plus a revised clutch and shifter assembly.
- Compact, 4-valve cylinder head features the same size intake (25mm) and exhaust (22mm) valves as the FZ6 but the intake port shape has been narrowed for increased air velocity resulting in more linear throttle response.
- Lightweight hollow camshafts feature revised lift and duration profiles (Vs the FZ6) providing excellent torque in the low and mid rpm range and also helping to achieve linear throttle control. Fuel economy is also optimized.
- Automatic hydraulic-type cam chain tensioner reduces mechanical engine noise and maintenance.
- One-piece cylinder and upper crankcase assembly provides superior engine and chassis rigidity as well as reducing weight.
- Ceramic composite plated sleeveless cylinder bores provide greater heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced frictional power losses. Sleeveless design also reduces weight.
- Lightweight forged pistons connected to carburized connecting rods provide superior strength and reduced reciprocating mass for crisp throttle response and reduced vibration.
- "Group-Type" Mikuni 32mm throttle body fuel injection provides outstanding throttle response and excellent fuel economy. Group fuel injection divides the four cylinders into two groups (1 & 4 and 2 & 3) with two injections of fuel for every 720 degrees of crank rotation.
- Compact "high dynamic range" injectors use 4-hole / 2-direction spray type injectors for excellent throttle control, reduced emissions and great fuel economy.
- A high powered, compact 32 bit ECU controls the ignition and fuel injection processes.
- Compact slant-block engine uses a "Tri-Axis" stacked 6-speed transmission design to create a shorter engine (front to back) which allows for optimum engine placement in the frame for a balanced weight distribution and great handling.
- "Inner push" type clutch release mechanism provides very light and smooth clutch lever action.
- Shifter layout and design provides smooth, positive shifting.
- Compact 4 into 2 into 1 "midship" style exhaust system features a 3-way catalytic converter which reduces harmful exhaust emissions (CO, HC, CO2 and NOx). The result is very clean running engine that easily surpasses strict EPA and EU European emission standards.
- This "midship" style exhaust system concentrates mass in the centre of the bike and keeps the centre of gravity low for light agile handling at any speed.
- High capacity radiator with ring-type cooling fan insures maximum cooling efficiency.
- Liquid cooled oil cooler maintains consistent oil temperatures for extended engine and lubricant life.
- Convenient spin-on type oil filter.
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition ensures fast starts and optimum engine performance.
- Air Induction System (AIS) reduces harmful hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide (HC & CO) exhaust emissions.
- "Diamond-type", high tensile tube steel frame is used. The main frame tubes are 31.5mm in diameter and feature a minimum of welds and bends. Rigidity around the steering head and swingarm pivot has been optimized for excellent handling and stability.
- This frame design helps to maintain one of the lowest seat heights (785mm / 30.1") in the 600 sports class.
- The engine is mounted to the frame in 4 locations making it a stressed chassis member and enhancing handling qualities.
- A box section steel swingarm compliments the frame and aids in providing a light handling feel.
- Detachable steel rear sub frame reduces costs in the event of a "loop-out".
- Conventional 41mm cartridge style fork provide great handling and excellent ride comfort. Plastic protectors help prevent tube damage due to stone chips. Wheel travel is 130mm (5.1").
- "Link less" rear suspension means the rear shock mounts directly to the frame and swingarm without the use of linkages. The rear suspension system has been designed to provide a rising rate feeling without the additional weight of linkage arms and pivots. The shock features 7-way spring pre-load adjustability. Wheel travel is 130mm (5.1")
- Dual 298mm floating front disc brakes are squeezed by a twin piston calipers. Braking performance is progressive and lever feel is excellent.
- 245mm rear disc brake with single piston caliper provides excellent stopping power.
- Full fairing offers great wind and weather protection plus a stylish new design. An inner panel around the instrument area provides a clean, quality image for the "cockpit".
- Stylish 17 litre (3.7 Imp. gal.) fuel tank provides an excellent riding range between fill ups.
- Lightweight 5-spoke mag wheels are fitted with Z rated radial tires which reduce unsprung weight for light, agile handling.
- Stylish two piece rider and passenger seat design offers excellent comfort. The rider portion of the seat is adjustable. The standard position is the lowest (785mm / 30.9") position with an ability to increase the rider seat height by 20mm or approximately ¾ of an inch.
- Adjustable handlebar design. The traditional 7/8" steel handlebars not only offer a comfortable, more upright riding position but can also be adjusted 20mm (approximately ¾ of an inch) forward by rotating the handlebar mounting brackets 180 degrees. The traditional handlebar design also allows easy replacement to a different "bend" if so desired.
- FZ1 inspired multi-function instrument assembly. Features include an analog tach, digital speedo, dual tripmeters, clock, fuel gauge and fuel reserve tripmeter plus a full range of warning lights.
- Bright, single 60/55 watt halogen headlight
- 5-position adjustable front brake lever
- Convenient passenger grab rails
- 520 size "O" ring chain reduces weight
- Low maintenance, sealed battery
- Helmet holder cable
Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.